Week of September 24, 2016
Celebrating 40th Anniversary
Complimentary Pre-class Homework Tutoring Starting this Saturday
As a value-added service to the special learning need families for school homework, we will resume, starting this Saturday, our pre- class tutoring sessions on every school Saturday, unless otherwise revised.
The pre-class tutoring sessions are not designed to do homework for your students, rather to assist them to better comprehend their homework/ class materials. Your students will still have to complete all their homework.
It is a complimentary service to all registered students subject to the availability of volunteer tutors. It is a privilege to the registered students, but not an obligation of the school. The school, at its discretion, may revise, cancel or otherwise terminate the program without notice at any time.
Students who sign up online prior to the requested tutoring session will receive priority seating. Otherwise, they will be helped based on “first come, first served.”
|Tutoring Hour:||12:00PM- 12:50PM, on school Saturdays, unless otherwise revised or cancelled by the school.|
|Tutoring Room:||At room LA 112|
|Fee:||Complimentary to Registered Students|
|Request Sign-up Link:
Seats Still Available for EP Classes
Class seats are still available for all Enrichment Programs (EP). Of particular interest for your child’s EP class options are the following new EP classes and/or new EP teachers: Di Zi Gui (弟子規); Chines Go; Kung Fu; Chinese folk dance. Sign-up at www.cococs.org/family/
Back-to-School Parents’ Orientation and Parents-Teachers Information Meetings
|Back-to-School Parents' Orientation|
|Time:||1:05PM - 1:50PM|
|Place:||Humanities Building HB-110|
|Light refreshments will be provided|
|Parents-Teachers Information Meeting|
|Time:||2:00PM - 2:50PM|
|Place:||Student's Language Classroom|
LAST CALL for Student Registration for 2016-2017
Online registration at https://cococs.org/family/
Walk-in online registration at LA112.
Welcome to a new school year at Contra Costa Chinese School! Our first day of school is this Saturday, September 10th.
I hope that you all have had a wonderful and relaxing summer and are looking forward to having another great school year at CCCS. During the course of the school year, if you have any questions or need help, please feel free to come to the school office at room LA112, or ask your student’s teacher, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are always available to help!
Along with this bulletin, you will find several information sheets. Please save these sheets, as they will be your school guides throughout the school year.
- All Students MUST have their updated Emergency and Parent’s Consent Form filed with the school office. If there is any material information change in the form during the school year, please submit your updated form to LA 112 as soon as possible.
- Classroom and Teacher Assignments: Is the 2016-17 School Year Classroom/Teacher assignments. On this Saturday, please arrive at school 15 minutes before classes start to ensure that you have enough time to find your child’s classroom. Students’ class assignment will be posted on walls of LA building on Saturday. Classroom and teacher assignments are subject to revisions, as the school deems necessary/ appropriate.
- School Calendar: Throughout the school year, the school sponsors many cultural and extracurricular activities including the school carnival, Chinese New Year school-wide potluck party, etc. Please refer to the attached calendar for the activity information. The school calendar is subject to revisions, as needed.
- Student Registration for 2016-2017 Continues, and Your Referrals are very much appreciated! Online registration at https://cococs.org/family/. Walk-in online registration at room LA112, from 1:00PM thru 3:30PM.
- Class seats are still available for all Enrichment Programs (EP). Of particular interest for your child’s EP class options are the following new EP classes and/or new EP teachers: Di Zi Gui (弟子規); Chines Go; Kung Fu; Chinese folk dance. Sign-up at www.cococs.org/family/.
- New “AP Chinese Language and Culture Exam Prep” class will replace all levels of IC classes. This exclusive upper level class is designed to help high school students who are interested in taking AP Chinese Language and Culture Exam. The class is open to all students who satisfy certain prerequisites prior to taking the class. Inquire at cccs1976@gmail, or 925-708-1888. Sign- up at www.cococs.org/family/.
- CSL Class: First CSL class starts September 9 (Friday) at 6:20pm in Room LA 122.
- Parents’ Back-to-School Orientation & Parents-Teachers Information Meetings: The Back-to-School Parents Orientation day is Saturday, September 17, and will be held at room HB-110 from 1:05-1:50pm. Immediately following this school-wide meeting is the first Parents/Teachers information meeting at 2pm in your child’s classroom. This is an open forum that will allow parents to meet with their teacher and discuss about the class’ curriculum, class rules, and policies, etc.
- Timeliness: Please bring your children to school on time at all times. This will embrace your commitment to their Chinese language and culture education, and will also reinforce the sense of value for their learning. When the scheduled class/ school activity is over, you must arrange to pick up your children on time. The school will not be held liable for unattended children after school classes/activities.
- Volunteerism: We need your participation in and support to school programs and activities throughout the school year. As you know, this school is entirely run by volunteers. Your help and participation will keep our tuition affordable and valuable. We are particularly in need of specialists for Web Design, and Desk-top Publishing. If you can help/ support in these specialty tasks, please stop by the office (LA 112).
- Communication: The use of email correspondence will help the school timely communicate with you all school information, notices, and announcements. Please let us know if you do not receive the school weekly eBulletin in two or more consecutive weeks. In addition, our school web site www.cococs.org also provides the updated information on school activities, programs, and announcements. embrace.
Again, thank you for enrolling your students in Contra Costa Chinese School. We look forward to having another exciting and successful year with you and your students! If you should have any questions or need help, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.
New Chair of the Parents Association for 2016-2017
Congratulations to Kim Huynh- our new Chair of Parents Association for 2016-2017. She was duly elected by the Class Representatives on May 21. Subsequently, Lisa Chu was appointed as the new PA Vice Chair. Please give them your full support and cooperation for the coming new school year.
We are indebted to Quyen King and Lin King, our current PA Chair and Vice Chair, respectively, for their unselfish and passionate contributions of their time and efforts to CCCS. We know that they will continue to help and support to the PA and school as needed.
As we constantly strive to enhance our enrichment programs (EP), we are excited to introduce three new EP classes for the coming school year. Please review the attached brief class synopsis for details. If you already have enrolled your students into a different EP class and you like to switch to one of these classes, you may request for class transfer to the new EP class of your choice.
A) Exploring Classical Chinese Values – “Dizigui”
Instructor: Seanan Fong
A second-generation Chinese American and graduate of Stanford University and Harvard University. At a young age, he studied Dizigui and was a student of Contra Costa Chinese School.
Dizigui Class Description
B) Shaolin Kungfu
Instructors: Kungfu masters from Shaolin Temple, China.
Shaolin Kungfu Class Description
Help Distribute School’s Flyers
Please help post, distribute, or otherwise disseminate school flyers to your local community. Typical locations for posting are: local libraries, shopping markets, Starbucks, Peet’s Coffee, Chinese and local restaurants, etc. Certainly, by disseminating the flyers to your friends, colleagues, and neighbors would be another effective way to marketing our school programs. Thank you very much for your help and support!
Instructions for Mac Users to be able to read a PC (Win) CD in Mac machine
A. Check the system requirements for the PC disc that you want to use. This information is found on the packaging for that program. If you no longer have the packaging, go to the software manufacturer's website to get the requirements. It may require a certain processor speed, graphics card or a certain amount of RAM. It will also require a certain operating system. Some discs can be used on both PCs and Macs, while some cannot.
B. Check that your Mac has those system requirements. You can do that by clicking the Apple, then "About This Mac" and "More Info."
C. Install Windows on your Mac if the system requirements will work but a Windows operating system is needed. There are a few ways to do this. New Macs come with Mac OS X 10.5, which includes Boot Camp. Boot Camp allows you to install Windows Vista or Windows XY with Service Pack 2 on your new Mac (see Resources). After installation, Windows will run a separate partition on your hard drive.
D. Install a software package like VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop if you have an older Mac that does not have Boot Camp (see Resources). These applications give you the flexibility to run both Mac OS X and Windows at the same time without rebooting.
E. Install virus protection on the Mac if you choose to install Windows. Norton and Intego both make dual virus protection software that covers the Mac and Windows operating systems at the same time.